20 July 2020
Ottawa, ON – The 40 members of IAM Local 1148 are in a better position after an arbitrator ruled on items to which the union and employer could not agree.
Overall, the members gained in terms of salaries: effective July 1, 2019, a 2% special adjustment to all classifications will take place, followed by a 2% increase across the board to all classifications. Furthermore, as of July 1, 2020, members received special adjustment of 1% followed by a 2% increase across the board to all classifications.
- Other highlights include retroactivity to all current and former employees on all hours paid from June 30,2019, within two pay periods following the award.
- Overtime will now be paid after 80 regular hours worked down from 88.
- Pension enhancements were also announced by the arbitrator. Effective January 1, 2021, the employer pension contribution will increase to .30¢ per hour with cap of not more than $12.00 per week for any one employee.
- Some clarifications in vacation procedures as well as an improvement to the vision increased by $25 retroactive to January 1, 2020.
- Introduction to a dental plan was also awarded by the arbitrator.
- Addition of the August civic holiday
“We have been at this for over a year and we are relatively happy with the results.” said Neil Giroux, IAM Grand Lodge Representative. “We still have a long way to go to bring these hard-working members to where they should be in terms of salaries and working conditions, but we are definitely up for that challenge.”
Interest arbitration occurs when the employer and union cannot agree on a mandatory subject of bargaining, the parties hire an impartial third-party arbitrator.
The 40 members consist of Registered Practical Nurses, Personal Support Workers, Housekeeping staff, and cooks. The IAM represents health care workers in retirement homes in Orleans, North Bay, Stratford, Clarington and Toronto.
– 30 –
For more information:
Neil Giroux, Grand Lodge Representative (firstname.lastname@example.org)